Why a massage gun?
From our last article, we learned that percussion massage is a pioneering treatment for soft tissue pain and soreness by using a tool that provides quick, short pulses deep into the body's soft tissues. This innovative instrument accelerates tissue repair and muscle recovery by increasing the flow of blood into the area.
A massage gun is a handheld device that applies concentrated pulses of pressure to the muscle tissue. This deep-tissue massage method can help you to:
- Work through your stress and release your muscles' built-up tension
- Activate muscles and promote recovery.
- Enhance blood flow.
- Relief pain and alleviate soreness.
- Increase your range of motion.
Furthermore, the massage gun is a lightweight and easy-to-use device, with neither time nor place restrictions for its use.
Digital wellness was first proposed by healthcare professionals, but today the world's biggest Fitness and IT companies are talking about it.(1)
What are some of the important points to consider when buying a massage gun?
- Noise/Sound Level.
- Battery Life.
- Attachment Heads.
- Included Extras.
Massage guns are widely categorized into 2 different types:
There is no one for everyone, as the needs of each individual user must be taken into consideration before deciding on the type that most fits.
The main difference between the two types often depends on device amplitude.
What is Amplitude?
- It is the maximum amplitude of a vibratory or oscillatory motion at equilibrium.
- The amplitude determines the maximum distance the head will travel and the greatest depth the gun will hit. Percussion massage devices have a “punchier” feel than Vibration devices and have a greater amplitude (10mm - 14mm).
- While it is true that massage speed impacts intensity, devices with higher amplitudes may still feel intense even if the speed is slower.
- Low stall force devices should not be able to hit deep. You can raise the provided weight before the apparatus stalls. This allows the user to apply more pressure to achieve their aim.
- For individuals who are more active, such as in sports, percussion instruments are preferred since they have a higher pain threshold and require more intense stimulation to release muscles.
- However, a vibration device may be too unpleasant for the average user.
- Determining which device feels best for you requires comparing numerous options. High/ low amplitude can be helpful depending on the user's needs.
RPM stands for revolutions per minute, which is the number of hits the massage gun can perform per minute.
The higher the pace, the more intense the massage. Most massage guns have a speed range of 2000 to 3200 revolutions per minute.
There is no one-size-fits-all speed, just as there is no one-size-fits-all amplitude. It is, nevertheless, preferable to have a gadget with a variety of speeds to choose from. Lower speeds can be utilized to warm up muscles, especially those that are particularly sore and sensitive. For highly stiff muscles or very tight knots, higher speeds can be used.
It's not ideal to have to charge your massage gun after every use. So, you'll want to look for a massage gun with a longer battery life, as well as maybe several battery packs that you can swap out when the first one runs out. This is especially crucial for people like massage therapists, who will be using the device to treat sufferers all day.
Different attachment heads may be preferred for different purposes depending on the user. Most devices feature standard attachments such as the ball or bullet head, but unique attachment heads can provide a full range of experience.
Because of their shape and size, the cone, thumb, and wedge attachments are ideal for working on tiny portions of the body, whilst the fork attachment allows users to operate around sensitive areas such as bones and tendons.
Before deciding, note the weight of the devices. Targeting difficult-to-reach locations may require you to get into an awkward position. If you can't keep the massage gun in place for an extended period, you should ask for the assistance of a partner or choose a lighter gadget.
You might think, "I don't care how my massage gun looks as long as it works," and you'd be right. However, the design we're discussing is focused on functionality rather than beauty.
- The massage gun device should be: Well-balanced in terms of weight distribution.
- Reducing wrist and arm fatigue when used for extended periods of time.
- Adjustable handling that allows positioning of the attachment heads at various angles to reach up to 90% of the body.
The warranty assures you that the product was manufactured according to Good Manufacturing Practice and allows you to replace a defective device (provided that the defect is not a result of abuse).